BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Zwinky Layouts »

Monday, June 29, 2009

Rest in Peace, Michael Jackson


Pop music legend Michael Jackson died last week after suffering from a cardiac arrest at home, the media has reported.

I was on my futon sipping my morning coffee, and found this out from dozens of status updates on my friends’ Facebook pages. (It’s crazy to think how news keeps filtering through different avenues as time progresses, no? Oh, J1000…)

MJ’s influence has touched people all over the world. Everyone has a “MJ-related” story.

At school, we use a series of English textbooks called “New Horizons.” There are some songs by Stevie Wonder and Mariah Carey on some pages.

Michael Jackson’s “We are the World” is printed in the third-year textbook. Most of my students quickly flip through the textbook, and probably overlook the English songs. But last year, some of my san-nensei (ninth-graders) used MJ’s song as the centerpiece for their creative writing assignments.

My favorite skit? Shou asked Miki on a date. “Hey, Miki! Do you know Michael Jackson? We should go to his concert together. On a date.” She rejected him! (The poor kids had to “perform” their skits in front of me. Amazing).

My kyoto-sensei, who is a darling and makes sporadic attempts to converse with me, uttered the words "Mai-ka-ru Ja-ko-so-nu?!" on Friday. We had a moment as I gestured that I was surprised such an icon died. Kyoto-sensei couldn't believe MJ was only 50.

MJ, thanks for reminding us that, "We are the world. We are the children. We are the ones who make a brighter day."

0 comments: