BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Zwinky Layouts »

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Thurs. Aug. 1 – Pretty in pink

There are two hot pink buildings, nestled right off one of the main streets. There’s a bike rack filled with different kinds, including a ballin’ Hummer bicycle in white. If you snake around to the back of the first building, you’ll get to my apartment (apaato).
I have a 1DKL. Outdoor shoes are left behind in the main entrance. There’s a six-tatami mat room, which transforms into my bedroom. The rest of the place has hardwood floors, which is quite nice. My living room is pretty bare right now, simply adorned with a Canadian flag and a map of Japan on the wall. I have a small kitchen/dining area, where I’ve placed a new carpet and a full-length mirror. The kitchen is pretty useless right now. I’m still waiting to get a stove, and I hope I get a microwave as well. My bathroom has your typical Japanese layout: the toilet’s in one room, and the shower/sink deal is in another room.
I also have a space for a washing machine, but I don’t know if/when I’m getting one. I’ve done quite the throwback, and will be washing my clothes in a bucket. This is ghetto, I know. There’s a coin wash up the street from me, but I don’t have the willpower/money to make a bajillion trips there.
That day, Brian and I went to city hall to fill out paperwork to get our gaijin cards. And Sanpei-san treated us to lunch… Here in Japan, pushing a button at the table beckons the waitress. That’s so efficient! Later that day, we went to a sushi conveyor belt restaurant. While I was fascinated by the food going down a conveyor belt, it was the payment method that really cracked me up. We wanted to treat Sanpei-san, and figured it would be hilarious if Brian gave him a big ol’ bear hug or at least blocked him. Sanpei-san was too quick. There was an awkward scramble at the front cash, and he ended up paying.

0 comments: